BigCommerce - Integration Setup
This feature requires additional licensing. Please contact AcctVantage Sales for a quote.
You will first need to create your actual BigCommerce store. Your BC account rep (or 3rd party consultant) will help with this step. Once the store is setup you can create the API account and link it to AcctVantage (see below).
AcctVantage Support & Development staff cannot assist in setting up your web store’s general design, layout and customer experience. Our interaction is strictly with the ‘back end’ data and integration with AcctVantage.
1. Create the API account and link it to AcctVantage
1.1. Create the API Account
1. Log in to BigCommerce with the owner credentials.
2. Go to Advanced Settings > API Accounts.
3. Select Create API Account > Create V2/V3 API Token.
4. On the Create API Account screen
a. Enter the Name for the API Account.
b. Copy the API Path (this will need to be entered in AcctVantage).
1.2. OAuth Scopes
5. Set the following required OAuth Scopes to either Modify or Read Only appropriately.
- Modify is optional. This allows you to upload Clients from AcctVantage to BigCommerce.
- Modify is required to update the order status in BigCommerce.
- Order Transactions
- Modify is required to send tracking numbers to BigCommerce.
- Get Payment Methods
- Read-only is the only option.
- Modify is optional. This allows you to upload Products and update existing Products & Inventory Availability.
All other OAuth Scopes are not applicable at this time. You can leave the rest of them set to None.
6. Save the Create API Account screen in BC (the save button is in the far lower right part of the window).
7. A window will pop up with API credentials (see below ⬇️). Save these BigCommerce API Credentials (either as a text file or a screenshot ... or both!)
Note: These credentials cannot be retrieved after leaving this process! If lost, you will need to create a new API Account!
If you're using one of the browsers listed below, a text file will be downloaded to your computer. Otherwise, we highly recommend taking a screen shot! Either way, saving these credentials is a good idea.
1.3. Setup and Test the Web Integration in AcctVantage
8. In AcctVantage, go to Administration > System Setup > Web Integrations tab.
9. Click the ➕ symbol to create a new Web Integration and select BigCommerce.
10. On the Store Setup tab, enter the BigCommerce Store Details.
- Store Description is your personal identifier in AcctVantage for this web store.
- API URL comes from the Create API Account screen.
- Client ID, Client Secret and Access Token all come from the BigCommerce API Credentials screen above (i.e. the screen you took a screenshot of!).
- AV BigCommerce License Key will be provided to you by AcctVantage Support.
11. Check the Enable box and click on Test Connection.
1.3.1. BigCommerce connection test is successful!
Once BigCommerce has been successfully contacted, you can proceed with setting the Integration Options (below) and then from there, proceed to Syncing Products and Available Inventory.
Once your store is set up, you can proceed with setting up the BigCommerce Integration Options in AcctVantage.
2. Setup the Integration Options in AcctVantage
2.1. Order Status
- Import Source Code: This is a 3-character code that you define. This code is used to tag transactions coming in from BC as belonging to this configuration.
Check for new orders interval: Establishes the frequency that AcctVantage checks for new orders on your web store.
- For most users, 1-5 minutes is a good balance.
- The more often you check for orders, the more resources your server must dedicate to this process.
- Note that changes here take effect after the next iteration of the current cycle. In other words, if you change from 60-minute checks to 1 minute, you’ll wait up to an hour before the 1-minute cycles begin. Restarting the AcctVantage Server app will implement changes immediately.
BigCommerce New Order Status:This is the status in BigCommerce that will indicate when you wish for AcctVantage to import new orders. Understanding your workflow within BigCommerce is critical to set this step properly.
Allow Client match by Email:When this setting is enabled, AV will attempt to match incoming Clients by email address.
- This matching method is secondary and is only relevant for orders placed by new customers and guest accounts.
- The primary matching method is based on the BigCommerce Customer ID (known as Import ID in AcctVantage).
- Allow Client match by Email:When this setting is enabled, AV will attempt to match incoming Clients by email address.
- BigCommerce Downloaded Order Status: This is the status that BigCommerce will display to indicate that the Order has been sent to AV but has not yet been processed. The Order Status in BigCommerce will automatically change after AcctVantage picks up the Order.
BigCommerce Import Error Status:If the import to AcctVantage fails, the BigCommerce Order record is set to this status.
- It is critical to understand that you must monitor this status to address errors and reset the Order to the BigCommerce New Order Status to trigger another attempt for import to AV.
Order Status Updates: Only one of the following order status options can be checked ...
- Push AV Order Status updates to BigCommerce: If checked, the Order Status Mapping rules will be used to update orders on BigCommerce when the status changes in AV.
Get BigCommerce Order Statuses and update AV: If checked, the Order Status Mapping rules* will be used to update orders in AcctVantage when the status changes in BC.
- *Exception: Orders in AV will NOT be posted when the Order status is changed in BC.
Order Status Mapping:In this table, for each indicated AV Order Status you can define how BigCommerce is updated.
- Consideration for your own workflow, fulfillment and automated client communication (from BC) should be taken into account.
- If Push AV Order Status updates is enabled, then the mapping goes from the left column to the right column.
- If Get BigCommerce Order Statuses is enabled, then the mapping goes from the right column to the left column (except for Posted/Completed.)
- Default Discount GL Code: Required if you're importing coupon codes from BigCommerce. The discount will be charged to this GL account.
Tax Area:In this field you indicate an AcctVantage Tax Area that is mapped to your Sales Tax liability account.
- Generally, it is expected that BigCommerce will have calculated Sales Tax before sending a Sales Order to AcctVantage. AcctVantage will not overwrite the web store’s calculated Sales Tax.
- If you use AvaTax with AcctVantage, it is highly recommended that you also link your AvaTax account to BigCommerce.
- Use unique Tax Areas for the AvaTax and BigCommerce Integrations. This will help you identify where tax was calculated -- even if AvaTax is calculating tax in both places, using separate Tax Areas will ensure that there are no tax conflicts.
Payment Methods Mapping: In this table, you map the types of customer payments that are accepted via your BigCommerce store to corresponding Receipt Types in AcctVantage.
- You can map more than one BC payment method to a single AV Receipt Type.
- You will also see a Purchase Order item in the AV Receipt Type list -- this is used for Clients on an open A/R account.
Credit Card Transactions are Pre-Authorizations:This is used to tell AcctVantage whether Receipts imported from BigCommerce are pre-authorized.
- Check this box if the BigCommerce account is set to "Authorize Only" -- only pre-authorized Receipts will be captured in AcctVantage if the transaction originated on BigCommerce.
- Uncheck this box if the BigCommerce account is set to "Authorize & Capture" -- AcctVantage will import the Receipt exactly as it was captured by BigCommerce.
- Other notes:
- Currently, AcctVantage only supports using the same setting for both gateways -- Authorize.net and Paypal .
- Currently, AcctVantage can only capture PayPal transactions that have been pre-authorized via BigCommerce.
Warehouse: Select an AcctVantage Warehouse to push inventory levels to BC. This warehouse is also used as the fulfillment warehouse for orders imported into AcctVantage.
Sync Product Details: This checkbox indicates if you want AcctVantage to push Product Details to BigCommerce.
- See more on Product Detail sync HERE.
Sync Inventory Levels: This checkbox indicates if you want AcctVantage to push Qty Available (from the selected Warehouse) to BigCommerce.
- See more on Inventory Level sync HERE.
- Sync Product Details: This checkbox indicates if you want AcctVantage to push Product Details to BigCommerce.
- Default Ship Via: If a shipping method is not indicated on the incoming sales order, AcctVantage will assign this default.
Auto-Create Missing Shipping Methods: Enable this setting to create a new Ship Via record if the shipping method used in BC is missing in AV.
- Default Shipment Product Class: Ship Via records will be assigned this Product Class if the above Auto-Create setting is enabled.