Pick and Pack (LAN Client)
AV 2017 introduces bar code scanner, web browser and handheld device picking/packing of Sales Orders. Refer to this article for more information!
Pick, Pack and Ship Sales Orders from within a specialized view into the Sales Order record. Now your order fulfillment team can use a barcode scanner to pull up the order in AV from a pick ticket and then scan the items as they are picked for shipment.
One of the primary benefits of the Pick/Pack process is streamlining fulfillment. Users are presented with only what they need to see to fill and ship an order without being exposed to pricing, payment and other Invoice related information.
1. Before you begin...
The Pick Pack feature can bring up the Sales Order that you want to fulfill either by Sales Order ID or Invoice Number. You'll need to choose one or the other in order to use this feature.
- Navigate to Administration > System Configuration
- Select Pick Pack from the drop-down menu.
- Auto-save option, if True, will save and close the Pick Pack screen when a Shipment has been processed. The user can then move on to the next Order immediately.
- Open to Shipments window, if TRUE, the Pick Pack screen opens the Shipments tab by default. If false, the Line Items tab is presented by default.
- Double-click the setting for Pick Pack Lookup Field.
- Choose either Sales Order ID or Invoice Number.
- Note: The Sales Order ID is NOT the same as the Order Number. Sales Order ID is a unique number, whereas Order Number is not unique.
- Click OK to save.
2. Start with a Sales Order.
In order to take advantage of the Pick and Pack feature, you must have a Sales Order that is currently in either Open or Committed Order Status.
3. Pick Ticket Custom Form with Barcodes.
For this example, I printed the above Sales Order using the basic Pick Ticket with Barcodes Custom Form.
4. Open the Pick Pack window.
Navigate to Warehouse Management ➤ Pick Pack
The Inventory module was renamed Warehouse Management for AV 2017.
5. Scan (or enter) either the Sales Doc ID or Invoice Number.
In Step #1, you chose to use either the Sales Order ID or the Invoice Number as the lookup for the Order. This step is where that comes into play.
Here you have 2 options:
- Type the Sales Order ID/Invoice Number manually and click OK.
- Scan a barcode from your Pick Ticket. This will populate this field with the Order ID. (see Step #3)
In order to scan barcodes:
- You will need a basic barcode scanner.
- You will need to either use our basic Pick Ticket with Barcodes or add barcodes for Sales Order ID and Part Number to your current Pick Ticket Custom Form using a barcode font.
- In order to scan barcodes:
Depending on the System Configuration selection in Step 1, the screen will either open on the Pick/Pack tab or the Shipping tab. The next steps presume you open to the Pick/Pack tab.
6. Pick the Sales Order Line Items.
- With the cursor in the Product Scan field, scan the Part Number barcode for the item you want to Pick. (see Step #2)
- The quantity in the Pick column will increment by 1 unit each time the Product's barcode is scanned.
- The +/- column will display the difference between the Ship Quantity and the Pick Quantity. When this number equals 0 you will not be able to Pick any more items.
- If you are manually entering the Part Numbers into the Product Scan field, typing the Part Number and pressing the Return key will have the same effect as scanning a barcode.
7. Scan the Part Number barcodes.
Each time you scan the Part Number barcode, you will see the actual Part Number briefly display in the Product Scan field and the quantity in the Pick column will increment by 1 unit.
8. All items have been Picked.
Once all items for the Order have been Picked (either by scanning the barcodes or entering Part Numbers by hand), now the Order Status can be updated.
Change the Order Status to either Picked, Packed or Shipped/Invoice (the option you will select depends on your company's workflow.)
9. Shipping Tab
The Shipping tab allows the user to process a Shipment through the EasyPost API integration or record the details - carrier, tracking number, etc - for a manually processed shipment.
10. Reopen the original Sales Order record.
After completing the Pick and Pack process for this Order, open up the original Sales Order record and you can see that the Order Status is now updated with the selection that you made in the previous step.
Warning Messages you may see.
You can't pick more than the Ship Qty.
You will see this message if you try to scan or enter a Part Number for a line item where the +/- equals 0 units. This prevents a User from Picking/Packing/Shipping a quantity greater than that which is on the Sales Order.
The record is already being edited.
You will this message if the original Sales Order record is open while you are trying to open the Order in the Pick and Pack window. Close the Sales Order record to proceed.