AcctVantage ERP Server Install Instructions (Windows)
These instructions are only relevant to install the incremental AcctVantage releases (i.e. updating from 2020.1.3 to 2020.1.4)
*If you are upgrading from AV 2018 (or prior) please contact us at 828-692-3301 firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Make a backup of your data.
On the AV Server App select the Maintenance tab and click the Start Backup button.
After the backup is complete, verify all users are logged out of the system and shut down the AcctVantage Server application.
2. Quit the current version of AV and run the installer you downloaded.
Right-click on the file and choose Extract All to unzip the file.
With the file unzipped, double-click the AV Server Installer. You may see the following message (Windows 10 and above). Click Show Details and then click Yes to proceed.
3. Install the AV Server
Make sure the Destination Folder is C:\AcctVantage ERP Server and then click the Install button.
AcctVantage will not run correctly if you install it in the Program Files folder; it must be installed directly on the C: drive.
Click OK to approve the following prompt.
The installation was successful when you see the following screen! Click Close on this installer window.
4. Prepare the new key file (if necessary).
Navigate to the folder where the data file (4DD) is stored, delete the old key file (AKF) from this folder and place your new key file into this folder.
The 4DD file is commonly located at the path: C:\AcctVantage ERP Server\Your Company Data
New key files are only necessary when either the year or the the major version number changes (e.g when upgrading from 19.1.x to 20.1.x OR 20.0.x to 20.1.x)
5. Launch the AV Server app.
- If you are launching AcctVantage from an icon in the Task Bar, you will need to replace the old icon with the one for the new version.
- The old Task Bar icon will still be pointing to the previous version.
- To be sure you are using the correct Task Bar icon, you can hover your cursor over the icon and it will display the version number.
- When you first launch a new version of AcctVantage, the system will need to know which database to connect to. You will see a prompt to Create or Open... Select Open and then navigate to the data file (4DD).
- AcctVantage will remember the location of the database and will open it automatically the next time you restart the AV Server (as long as the file and folder names have not changed.)
- If you see a message stating Version numbers do not match you can safely click past it. (Remember to delete your old key file or else you won't be able to get past this message.)
- If you see a prompt to install a key file, click the install button and point to the key file from Step 4.
Alert #1: If you have the AV Server set to launch at startup or run as a service you will need to reinstate that setting for the new version of the AV Server.
Alert #2: If you have Windows Firewall enabled, you will need to allow the new version of AV Server through the firewall before any AV Clients can connect to the server.
6. Verify your backup settings are in place.
The backup settings should automatically be transferred over to the new version of AcctVantage. However, sometimes this does not occur for various reasons. It's always a good idea to verify your backup settings after installing a new version.
Go to the Maintenance tab and click on Preferences to see your backup settings.
Below is a quick refresher on backup settings. See this link for more info -> AcctVantage Backup Settings
Set the Automatic Backup setting to Every Day. It's best to leave the backup time to the default (midnight) unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise.
Leave only the Data File box checked. Uncheck everything else and remove any files that are listed under Attachments.
Under Backup File Destination Folder, select the folder where you want to store your data backups (this can be a local or network drive).
It is not a good idea to backup your AcctVantage-related Documents and Pictures folders here. This will slow down the backup utility and the backup files will become prohibitively large. Consider a different backup strategy if you need to backup files attached in AcctVantage.
6.3. Backup & Restore
Enter a number for the Keep only the last <x> backup files setting. It's a good idea to leave this number somewhere between 7 and 14 (so you keep the last one to two weeks of backups).
Leave everything else on this tab at the default settings.
7. Enjoy using AcctVantage ERP!
Submit a ticket to AV Support if you have any further questions: email@example.com