Data Backup Preferences
It is very important to make sure that your Data File is backed up regularly. This lesson details how to set the Preferences for your data backups. If you want restore from a backup see the lesson Restore From a Backup File.
Here are some strategies for ensuring that a backup file is available in the event that one is needed:
- Scheduled backup (This is the primary topic of the lesson below): We recommend scheduling a backup to occur at least once a day. Typically the best time to do this is overnight (or some other time when everyone is out of the system).
- Backup before posting transactions: This is a good way to make sure that you always have a current backup available. There is a check box available on the Post Transactions screen that you can mark to run a backup when posting. However, if you often post individual records using the Action Menu, then additional backup strategies become even more critical.
- Backup before importing data: Backup before any import of data is attempted in Acctvantage. This includes GL imports, Physical Inventory imports and XML imports.
- Implement company-wide backup procedures: Most companies have standard backup procedures in place for their computer systems. We do not intend for any of the above procedures to replace any company-wide procedures. We highly recommend implementing and/or continuing any procedures for routinely backing up all company data.
- The built in AcctVantage ERP backup scheduler will backup your AV data file to the designated location.
- It does not backup any other files on the hardware and should not take the place of a general system wide backup.
- Your staff or 3rd party IT support should have backup plans in place in case of a hardware or other failure.
Apple's Time Machine and most other 3rd party automated backup utilities will not back up a file that is in use. So long as your AcctVantage Server is running, the data file is in use and will not be backed up by these tools! Follow the instructions in this article to create an AcctVantage backup schedule, then have Time Machine 'back up the back up' in case of hardware failure!
1. Set the Scheduled Backup Preferences
1.2. Configuration tab
- We recommend to set your Backup File Destination Folder to a directory other than where your live AV data is stored.
- Ideally the backup would be saved to a different partition or different physical drive.
2. Backup Before Posting
3. Backup before importing data
4. Company-wide backup procedures
As stated at the beginning of this article: None of these 3 backup techniques are meant to replace your existing company-wide backup procedures. We highly recommend implementing and/or continuing any procedures for routinely backing up all company data.