Receiving a Non A/R Payment
Occasionally, you will receive a payment for something other than an Accounts Receivable Invoice or Client Deposit.
A Non A/R Receipt is used in cases where the incoming funds are not to be applied to an Accounts Receivable item. Acctvantage allows for Non A/R Receipts to be tied either to a Client or a miscellaneous payer. Vendor refunds and payments received from employees are just two examples where you may find a Non A/R Receipt to be useful.
This lesson will only cover the specifics of Non A/R Receipts. For the basics on entering a Receipt see the article on how to Receive a Payment from a Customer.
1. Applying a Non A/R Receipt from a Client
- Create a New Receipt and enter the relevant data.
- Select the Non A/R tab. This is where you will charge the payment directly to a GL Account.
- Anything entered in the line items section will be a CREDIT to that account.
- You can tell whether this CREDIT will increase (+) or decrease (-) the selected GL Account by the symbol in the Action column.
Note: A Receipt can be split between the A/R and Non A/R tabs. This would be helpful if your Client is remitting payment for A/R items but you also charged a restocking fee for unrelated returned items.
2. Applying Non A/R Payments from someone other than a Client
You'll first need to enable a System Configuration setting to be able to enter a Receipt from someone other than a Client.
- Navigate to Administration ➤ System Configuration.
- Select Receipt from the drop-down list.
- For the setting Allow Misc Client Receipts, double-click the Value column to set it to True.
- Click OK to save your changes.
3. Enter a Miscellaneous Client Receipt
With the System Configuration setting enabled you can now Create a New Receipt.
Enter the Non-Client payer in the Client Name field and press the tab key. You'll be presented with a confirmation dialog box (see next screenshot.)