AcctVantage ERP Server Install Instructions (Mac OS)
These instructions are only relevant to install the incremental AcctVantage releases (i.e. updating from 2020.1.3 to 2020.1.4)
*If you are upgrading from AV 2018 (or prior) please contact us at 828-692-3301 or email@example.com
1. Make a backup of your data.
From the AcctVantage Server computer: select the Maintenance tab and click the Start Backup button.
After the backup is complete, verify all users are logged out of the system and shut down the AcctVantage Server application.
2. Quit the current version of AV and run the installer you downloaded.
- Double-click the DMG file you downloaded.
- Right-click the package installer and then choose Open.
- Follow the prompts to select the install location (leave this as the default location).
- Confirm the prompt to archive the existing version of AV.
- Confirm the prompt to delete the installer after the installation is complete.
3. Prepare the new key file (if necessary)
Navigate to the folder where the data file (4DD) is stored, delete the old key file (AKF) from this folder and place your new key file into this folder.
The 4DD file is commonly located at the path: Macintosh HD/Applications/AcctVantage ERP Server/Your Company Data
New key files are only necessary when either the year or the the major version number changes (e.g when upgrading from 19.1.x to 20.1.x OR 20.0.x to 20.1.x)
4. Launch the AV Server app.
- If you are launching AcctVantage from an icon in the Dock, you will need to replace the old icon with the one for the new version.
- The old Dock icon will still be pointing to the previous version.
- To be sure you are using the correct Dock icon, you can hover your cursor over the icon and it will display the version number.
- When you first launch a new version of AcctVantage, the system will need to know which database to connect to. You will see a prompt to Create or Open ... Select Open and then navigate to the data file (4DD).
- AcctVantage will remember the location of the database and will open it automatically the next time you restart the AV Server (as long as the file and folder names have not changed.)
- If you see a message stating Version numbers do not match you can safely click past it. (Remember to delete your old key file or else you won't be able to get past this message.)
- If you see a prompt to install a key file, click the install button and point to the key file from Step 3.
Alert: If you have your AV Server application set to Open at Login in MacOS, you will need to remove that setting from the old version and reinstate the setting in the new version you're updating to.
5. Verify your backup settings.
The backup settings should automatically be transferred over to the new version of AcctVantage. However, sometimes this does not occur for various reasons. It's always a good idea to verify your backup settings after installing a new version.
Go to the Maintenance tab and click on Preferences to see your backup settings.
Below is a quick refresher on backup settings. See this link for more info -> AcctVantage Backup Settings
Set the Automatic Backup setting to Every Day. It's best to leave the backup time to the default (midnight) unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise.
Leave only the Data File box checked. Uncheck everything else and remove any files that are listed under Attachments.
Under Backup File Destination Folder, select the folder where you want to store your data backups (this can be a local or network drive).
It is not a good idea to backup your AcctVantage-related Documents and Pictures folders here. This will slow down the backup utility and the backup files will become prohibitively large. Consider a different backup strategy (e.g. Time Machine) if you need to backup files attached in AcctVantage.
5.3. Backup & Restore
Enter a number for the Keep only the last <x> backup files setting. It's a good idea to leave this number somewhere between 7 and 14 (so you keep the last one to two weeks of backups).
Leave everything else on this tab at the default settings.
6. Enjoy using AcctVantage ERP!
Submit a ticket to AV Support if you have any further questions: firstname.lastname@example.org