Create a New User
A User is someone who has or will have access to AcctVantage. The User Access Levels area allows you to define a User’s access to the system by editing the rights given in their User record and/or by assigning a User type.
1. Open the User Access Levels window
Navigate to Administration ➤ User Access Levels.
2. Add a new User record
Click the Create New Record icon or use the keyboard shortcut Command + N.
- The new User Name can't already exist on another User record. No duplicates are allowed.
- After you create the new User, if you're logged in as Administrator you can use the Action Menu item to set their password (skip to the end of this article.) Otherwise, the user will set their own password the first time they log in.
2.1. Select the type of record to create
You can either create a new User or a Group.
If you create a User, the permissions you assign will only apply to that User.
If you create a Group, you will assign permissions to the Group. You will then need to create Users with no permissions and assign Users to the Group. Each User will inherit their permissions from the Group.
3. Enter data on the Personal Info tab
User Name: The User’s name.
- Used by the password system as the User's login, the Planner/Task list and all places where a record is "Entered by."
Employee Name: The User’s name as entered in an employee record.
- Client Account Data: Allows the User to view and edit the Account Information tab in the Sales Master/Client window.
- Override Credit Limit: Allows the User to charge [an Invoice's Balance Due] to A/R for Clients who are over their Credit Limit.
- Delete Quick Reports: Allows the User to delete reports created with the Quick Report Editor.
- Delete Serial Numbers: Allows the User to delete Serial Numbers.
- Modify Product Data: Allows the User to edit data on the Product record.
- Modify Retained Earnings: Allows the User to make Adjusting Journal Entries directly to the Retained Earnings account. Usually reserved for accountant or controller.
- Modify User Security: Allows non-Administrator Users to make changes to User Access records (i.e. the topic of this article). The Administrator automatically carries this permission
- System Setup: Allows the User to make changes in the Administration ➤ System Setup window.
- Print Order as an Invoice: Allows a User to print an Invoice form for any open Order. Normally only those Orders marked Shipped/Invoice will print the Invoice form. This feature is no longer commonly used.
- Modify RTP Invoices: Allows the User to uncheck the Shipped/Invoice status on a non-posted Order.
- Mark Commission Paid: Grants access to the Sales Order Action Menu item for marking Invoices as having been paid commission.
- Reassign Account Mngr: Allows the User access to the Sales Order Action Menu item that will modify the Account Manager for posted Invoices.
Quick Report Button: Allows the User access to create reports using the Quick Report Editor.
User Defaults and Privileges
- Default Warehouse: The Warehouse that will populate by default for this User on records such as Purchase Orders and Sales Orders.
- Startup Module: The module in AcctVantage that will be active upon the User logging in.
User Type: Either Administrator, Accounting Manager, Sales Manager or Standard.
- The Administrator User Type has an expanded level of privileges over other types of Users.
- User Group: User Access settings can be made on a Group-level and individual Users can be assigned to User Groups.
- Revoke Access: Check this box to prevent the User from logging in to AcctVantage.
- Currently Logged on System: No longer used.
- 4D Write Access: No longer used.
User Name, Employee Name and Default Warehouse are mandatory fields.
4. Set System Access settings for the User
Allow full or read-only access to individual modules/windows. Grant access to each window by clicking and placing an x on each item. To check or uncheck and entire column, click in the header row -- click the box with the check or box without the check, respectively.
- Module Name: The Module that a window belongs to.
- Area Name: The window within a Module, that you wish to grant or deny access to for this user.
- Allow: An X in this column indicates that a user has full access to this process in AcctVantage. Click on the line to change the status.
RO (Read Only): An X in this column indicates that a user has read only access to this process in AcctVantage. Click on the line to change the status.
Email / Intranet Settings
- Email Address (From): The email address used as the From address when sending email from within AcctVantage.
- Email Address (Reply To): The email address used as the Reply To address when sending email from within AcctVantage.
Email Password: The password associated with the user's email account.
These are some System Configuration settings that can be enabled at the User level. These normally work in conjunction with System Wide settings established on the System Configuration screen.
- Group: Indicates which screen the field or function applies to.
- Name: Indicates the field or function which is to be affected.
- Value: An enterable field where you can establish the name of a field, activate a function or make any other indicated User defined setting.
Desc: The description for the field or function.
Click OK to save the new User record when done.
5. Restart the AV Server app
Restarting the AV Server is not typically required, however if you see a message stating 4D user not found then you will need restart the AV Server.
Set the User Password
Highlight the User whose password needs to be set/changed in the list. Open the Action Menu and select Change user password.
1. Enter/confirm the new password
2. Password has been changed
Note: If you skip Step #5 at this time, when the new User first logs in to the AV Client, they will be prompted to enter a new password. (See the next screenshot.)