Void a Check (or a Check Register Entry)
1. Find the Check in the Check Register
If the payment originated as an A/P Voucher, you must POST any associated A/P Disbursements before the check record can be displayed (and voided) in the Check Register.
If the payment originated as a Quick Check, you must POST the Quick Check before it can be voided.
Navigate to Accounts Payable ➤ Check Register.
Highlight the check, then go to the Action Menu and select Void Check.
2. Are you sure?
Confirm the void check routine.
3. Enter a Post To date
Enter the effective posting date of the void transaction. The date you enter will be used as the Post To date for the entry.
See the setup section at the end of this article for details on how to choose the default void check date.
4. Journal Entry was created
An Adjusting Journal Entry will be created. This will reverse the effects of the printed check (see detail below). The dialog below will indicate the ID number of the journal entry.
4.1. Adjusting Journal Entry
Navigate to General Ledger ➤ Adjusting Journal Entries to find the entry.
Use the Quick Search to find the entry via the ID that was displayed in the previous step.
4.2. Journal Entry Detail
The Journal Entry will have at least two lines:
- At least one Debit to the checking account (GL).
- If the check originated as an A/P Voucher, there will be least one Credit for the voucher(s) that the check was written to pay for (VEND).
- If the check originated as a Quick Check, there will be at least one Credit for the expense account(s) used on the original check (GL).
- Additional Debits/Credits can also occur. In the screenshot below, an A/P discount for $2.40 was taken on the original check so it will be reversed in this entry.
Don't forget to POST the journal entry. After it's posted, the A/P Disbursement will be reopened.
If you want to modify the adjustment or make other entries, you can modify the entry by adding or deleting line items as you (and your accountant) wish.
Setup: Choose the Default Void Check Date.
This is not part of the regular process to void checks. This is only part of the setup it just needs to be done once.
- Navigate to Administration ➤ System Configuration and select Accounts Payable from the drop-down menu.
- Find the setting for Default Void Check Date -- double click to select either Check Date or Current Date.
- Click OK to save the System Configuration change.