Fill a Sales Order (or Back Order) when Receiving a Purchase Order item
In order for this feature to work, there are a couple conditions that need to be met:
- You must have one of the following:
- an open Sales Order with a backordered quantity (Sales Order is not posted)
- an unfilled Back Order (Sales Order has been posted)
- You must have created a Purchase Order from the Sales Order via the Action Menu.
- The backordered Product(s) must have a default Vendor.
- The Product being filled must be an Inventory type
Note: As of 2017.0.0.5, Non-Inventory items may be backordered, but cannot be filled in this manner
Taking the above into account, here is the process to fill the backordered items after receiving the items on a Purchase Order.
1. The Sales Order with a Backordered quantity.
The first condition that needs to be met is to have either a Sales Order with a backordered quantity or an unfilled Back Order.
Here we have a Sales Order with a backordered quantity. Notice that this part has a default Vendor Name also.
2. Create Purchase Order
The second condition that needs to be met is to create a Purchase Order that is related to the original Sales Order. This is done via the Action Menu as seen below.
3. Receive the items on the Purchase Order
You will receive the items on the related PO as usual. Click OK to save.
4. Fill Sales Orders/Back Orders?
After you receive the backordered items on a related PO and click OK to save, you will be prompted:
Do you want to fill related open Sales Orders and/or Back Orders?
Select Yes to fill the backordered items.
5. The backordered quantity has been filled.
If you go back to the original Sales Order (or Back Order) you will see the quantity has been entered in the Ship column and removed from the BO column.
Now you can proceed with your normal workflow to Ship/Invoice the Order!