The List View - AcctVantage's Primary Search Screen
The List View
The List View is AcctVantage's primary landing page any time you open a new table of records. This screen is used to create new records, search for and edit existing records, and generate reports.
Becoming comfortable with this screen is a big step in getting the most out of AcctVantage!
New Features for AV 2018!
1. Title Bar, Current Table
The Title Bar (the top edge of the window) will display the database table name that you are currently working with. The numbers to the right of the table name represent the number of records currently displayed and the total number of records in the table. In our example above, we are displaying 37 of our 49 total Clients in the Sales Master window.
2. Quick Search
The fields displayed in the Quick Search pull down menu can be changed and organized (sorted) via the Administration > View Editor.
The Quick Search pull down menu lets you select a single field to search by. Once you select a field, use the Starting and Ending entry fields to tell AcctVantage what you want to search for.
Once you have selected the field to search by, and entered the value (name, date, number, etc.) then all you need to do is click Find or press Return to execute the search. Records found during the search are then displayed in the list area.
Some notes on searching:
- You can use only the Starting field if you want to search using only a single value. For example, entering "A" in the Starting field, and leaving the Ending field empty, will search the database for anything that begins with "A". (In the screenshot above, this search would return only the first four Clients, whose name begins with the letter A.)
- If you use BOTH the Starting AND Ending entry fields, you will execute a range-style search. For example, entering "A" in the Starting field and "G" in the Ending field would produce a list of records starting with letters A through G. (In the screenshot above, this search would return all records from AcctVantage to Grand Junction Sports.)
- Both the Starting and Ending entry fields behave as "begins with" criteria. This means you can type "Ab", hit find and return a list that includes "Abbott", "About Time", "ABC", etc. ... anything that 'begins with' the letters "Ab".
- The Starting and Ending entry fields will change depending on the type of field you are searching. Date field searches will display Starting and Ending dates for example while Name searches would be alpha-numeric style fields.
3. Filter By
The Filter By drop down menu allows you to perform more targeted searches (i.e. filter out the current results with a more specific list of results.)
For example, if you're looking at the above Sales Master window and you want to see all Clients from A to G who are currently on credit hold, you could use the Filter By to show on Credit Hold in order to narrow your search results.
This menu is contextual -- that is to say, the choices available here will depend on which window you are viewing.
4. Result radio buttons
New list: Creates a brand new list of records based on your search criteria
Find within: Click this to search within the list of records that are currently displayed. This is a tool for narrowing down your selection of records to a more specific selection.
Add to: Click this to keep the currently displayed selection of records and add new records to the list based on new search criteria.
Remove from: Click this to keep the currently displayed selection of records but remove records from this list based on new search criteria.
New Feature for AV 2018: Multiple List View windows.
Sometimes you might want to have multiple records or lists open for the same table in AcctVantage. For example, you may need to work with a couple Purchase Orders at the same time, or review different lists of Sales Orders & Quotes. Click the New List button to open extra windows.
Show All / Find: After you complete your search criteria, click this button to display your search results. This button will display Show All until any search criteria has been selected, at which point it changes to display Find.
Undo: This will undo your most recent search results.
Power Search: For advanced users, this will allow you to search fields in the underlying database with eash.
New List: Click this button to open a new list view window. Click it multiple times to open multiple windows.
6. Open record in new window
New Feature for AV 2018
Check this box and then double-click any record in the list view to open that record in a new window.
This only works for existing records. If you want to open a brand new record in a new window, then you should use the New List button and then click Create New Record in the new window.
7. Cross reference
The cross reference drop-down allows you to generate search results based on related records from another window in the system.
Going back to the examples mentioned earlier, if you're looking at the Sales Master window at the top of this page and you want to see all Sales Orders related to that list of Clients, then first you'll display those companies in the Sales Master window per previous instructions. Next, open the Sales Orders & Quotes window and use the Cross reference drop-down menu to select Client Window. Click the Find button and the system will display all Sales Order records related to the list of Clients.
The Cross reference feature can be used in conjunction with all other search tools previously mentioned (Quick Search, Filter By, Result, Power Search) in order to accomplish more specific, targeted search results.
In order from left to right:
- Create New Record: Opens a new data entry window relative to the list screen you are viewing (e.g. Create New Record in the Sales Orders & Quotes window will open a new Sales Order or Quote.)
- Order By: Sort the selection by one or more columns of data. (You may be familiar with sorting columns in Excel ... this feature works similarly.)
- Keep Highlighted Selection: Highlight a series of records, click this icon and your selection will be narrowed down to include only the highlighted records.
- Remove Highlighted Selection: Highlight a series of records, click this icon and your selection will be narrowed down to include only the records that were not highlighted.
- Label Editor: Create labels for the table that you are currently viewing.
- Print Record: Print (or export) custom forms and reports based on the selection of records.
- Font Type: Change the typeface that is displayed in the list area.
- Increase font size: Make the size of the typeface in the list area larger
- Decrease font size: Make the size of the typeface in the list area smaller
- Save window settings: You can change the font type, font size, column width, sort order, window size, window position. Once you have the window settings as you want them, click the push pin icon to save the window settings. Close and then reopen the window and the window will look just like you saved it to look.
- Select Action to Take on Records: Also referred to as the Action Menu. This menu is contextual; the choices here will depend on the window you are viewing.
9. List area
This is where the list of results will be displayed [based upon your search criteria].