Purchase Orders & Alternate Units of Measure
AcctVantage ERP supports purchasing from your Vendors using any available Unit of Measure. This means you can stock an item by the each while purchasing by the case, or buy a foot and sell a yard.
In order to issue PO's using Alternate Units of Measure, you must first define and then associate these Alternate UM's with the Product you are purchasing. Please refer to the lesson on How to Setup Alternate Units of Measure.
If you are selling Products using Alternate UM's, please refer to the lesson on Sales Orders & Alternate Units of Measure.
1. Enable UM columns to display on the Purchase Order detail.
- Navigate to Administration ➤ System Configuration.
- Click the Line Items tab.
- Click the Edit Detail Column Configuration button under Purchase Order Detail/Line Items which will open the PO Detail Column Editor (see below).
- Double-click in each row/column and you'll see the little dot appear that will enable each column.
- UM and UM_Qty can be made both Visible and Enterable.
- UM_Multiplier can only be made Visible.
2. Purchase Order Entry
When entering a quantity to purchase on your PO, the default UM (Unit of Measure) will match the Product record's default. Type the "@" symbol into the UM column and a list will be displayed for you to select from any of the available UM's for that Product (see Fig. 2.1). Alternatively, you can type the Name of the UM in this field instead of selecting from the list.
- UM - The Unit of Measure being ordered on this PO.
- UM Mult. - This is a non-enterable field referencing how many of the "base units" are included in each UM being ordered. In this scenario, each Case we order includes 12 of our base units or 12 "each".
- UM Qty - This field represents the quantity that you are ordering. In this example, we are issuing a PO for "3 cases."
- Qty - This non-enterable field represents how many "base units" are being ordered. In the example above, we are ordering 36 base units (3 cases x 12 units each). This is an FYI field only and does not appear on your printed PO.
3. Receiving the PO
When receiving the PO items, all receipts refer back to the Unit of Measure that was ordered (rather than base units being received). In the example above, we issued a PO for "3 cases" and are receiving 2 of those cases. In the background, AcctVantage will do the math to indicate that we now have stock for "2 cases of 12 each" or 24 total units.
Note: The Unit of Measure feature is a means for streamlining the order process. Once the Product is received, AcctVantage treats the Inventory as if you have received individual "each" units.