Setup Alternate Units of Measure (AV2013)
AcctVantage supports Unit of Measure conversion for purchasing and selling. This means you can stock a product in one Unit of Measure (UM), and sell it in any number of alternate UMs. For example, you can stock an item as “each” (individual units) and sell it as “case” where “case” is defined as 12 “each.”
- You can define the base unit and as many alternate UMs for your products as you need.
- The base UM on the Product record should be the smallest unit that you deal in. This unit is used throughout the Inventory system for physical counts, Work Orders, Maintenance, Inventory Reporting, etc.
- UMs should multiply up, not down. While the system will allow and can track partial units, it can cause problems with your inventory if you do things like sell 1/12 of something or build assemblies that contain 1/6 of something. Eventually, the rounding off of partial units will become problematic. Ideally your UMs would be whole number multiples.
Please see these related lessons for more on how to Purchase or Sell Products using Alternate UM's:
2. Create a new Unit of Measure
Click the Create New Record icon or use the keyboard shortcut Command + N.
2.1. Define the Unit of Measure
- The Name used here should correspond to the selling/purchasing unit.
- The Multiplier should equal the number of individual units in the bulk UM. In this example, we are saying that a Case equals 12 individual units or 12 "each."
Click OK to save the record!
3. Set up a Product to be able to use an Alternate Unit of Measure.
Click the + symbol to add Alternate Units of Measure to the Product. You will be prompted to Select a Unit of Measure from a list of UM's that were added in the Step 2 (see next screenshot).
Note: The base Unit of Measure should be the smallest unit you deal in. If you end up using fractions of this base UM, this will eventually cause problems with Lot values.
4. Alternate Units of Measure have been added to the Product.
Don't forget to click OK to save the record!