Print a Client Refund Check
These instructions illustrate how to print a refund check for open A/R credits. This applies to credit memos, client deposits, overpayments ... any type of A/R credit.
Processing a Client Refund Check is very similar to processing a Quick Check.
1. Open the Check Register
Navigate to Accounts Payable ➤ Check Register and click the + symbol to create a new record (or use the keyboard shortcut cmd + N).
Select Quick Check at the prompt to choose the type of check entry.
2. Create the refund check
- Check the box for Client Check (this must be the first step).
- Enter the Client Name in the Party field and press the tab key.
- If there are more than one A/R credit or deposit for the Client, you will be presented with a list to choose from.
- If there are zero A/R credits or deposits, you will be alerted.
2.1. Select the A/R Credit that you wish to refund
This list will contain all currently open A/R credits and deposits for the selected Client.
- Highlight the A/R credit or deposit you wish to refund.
- Click the Select button.
If you see the message below, then there are no refundable A/R credits for the selected customer.
2.2. Verify the check information
You can see that now the check is populated with a credit line item. The GL account used on this line item will be the account that was originally charged (e.g. either Client Deposits or Accounts Receivable). The amount will equal the amount of the credit. The Memo field will also be populated with the A/R Document ID and the original date of the A/R Document (this is either the date of the original deposit or the date of the credit memo).
- Verify the Checking Account.
- Verify the Check Number and Check Date.
- Click OK to save.
3. The check still needs to be printed.
After you save the check you can see it in the list view. At this point it still needs to be printed.
4. Print the refund check
Navigate to Accounts Payable ➤ Make Payments to print the refund check.
- Under Disbursement Type select the Quick Check option.
- Under Payment Source Information, select the appropriate checking account.
- You will see the refund check in the list on the right-hand side. Select the refund check, which will place an X in the marked to pay column.
- Click Print to print the check. Follow the usual protocol to print the check.
- Insert your check stock with the appropriate check number into your printer.
- Follow the prompts to print the check.
5. Post the check
If you return to the Check Register list view and refresh the screen, you can now verify the check has been printed.
There is still one last step, however. You still need to post the check, so either use the Action Menu ➤ Post Selected Records or go to General Ledger ➤ Post Transactions in order to post the check.